Sunday, March 05, 2006

I'm back!!!

times square, new york, photography by Joey Briones
© Joselito Briones


Plane landed at 4pm in JFK. Other than minor turbulances and the shocked reaction from the girl sitted beside me when she saw me put my vanilla ice cream dessert in my coffee, the flight was pretty much uneventful. I even snuck in a few much-needed naps. Are you happy to see me?

The ever reliable Jane picked me up from the airport. In the car, she updated me on what she's been up to. She's really strong. She had more a resigned exasperation than anger or mad confusion, which is how what she's been through lately would've affected me. Or maybe she's just relieved that everything is over.

On the way to Jane's, we went to a Thai restaurant that she suggested. I guess she's now converted by deep-fried soft-shell crabs which before today she'd never touch no matter how much I tell her that they're yummy. And now that's the first thing she suggested we order. Either she really likes it now or she just likes this restaurant because of the good looking staff.

There was a moment in the restaurant when I was a bit disoriented as to where I was. Was I in Manila? the clothes of the people, and the people themselves, don't seem to fit in. Was I in New York? I looked outside and it didn't help much. Of course I was in Queens. Where else could I be. Maybe for a just a moment, when in my mind "I was home" because that's why I was flying today, that I was either expecting my neighborhood in Hell's Kitchen, or any of the places I know in the Philippines. And pretty soon I'll have a new home. New confusion.

Eric joined us in the restaurant. I'm extremely fortunate to have such good friends as Eric and Jane. We decided we were gonna watch Oscar's at Jane after dinner, then to Eric's, where I'll be staying.

I hope the weather lets up. I don't want my most recent experiences of New York to be cold and gloomy.


XXX

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please say "Anyong" (Hello) to Eric for me. Hope you guys have a great time:)

Popular Posts