Monday, June 11, 2007

Portrait of a struggling singer/songwriter

Kevin Kirker in his San Leandro apartment - photo by Joselito Briones
© Joselito Briones


The struggle, in this case, is internal. Not being able to sooner put out something that he knows he's perfectly capable of making, having opted to rely solely on himself to complete his project, not being able to constantly muster discipline to regulate the progress.

He's really good at it too, I heard one of his tracks and was really impressed. One that he has since discarded as unusable. I thought it perfectly good, if technically wanting polish (he made it a few years ago). Reminded me of a more layered "Strange and Beautiful (I'll Put a Spell on You)" by Aqualung.

I hope for his own sake he finds direction sometime soon. One can get lost in a struggle for a lifetime without realizing it. Then it's too late.


XXX

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i gave up on any musical talent i could have. as i wrote in my blog, it was a childhood dream. never ment to be.

btw, is that you???

Stephen said...

Nice photos, keep up the great work! I used to hang out with Kevin a lot. If you see him again, would you mind telling him that Steve says, "hey"? I know he's in hibernation mode and everything.

Popular Posts